The most acclaimed Canadian movie of the year, Incendies,Â finally finds its way to DVD today.Â That should be enough for you to want to see it, but I know you and I know Canadian audiencesÂ and unless the movie features curlers or a trailer park, you probably aren’t going to feel the urgency to see this movie.Â Â That’s why I thought I’d do a little compiling of my own, so you can have a ton of evidence to justify your decision to see Incendies, should you need one.
- 100% on Rotten Tomatoes.Â (Higher than any of the ten Best Picture nominees.)
- Nominated for an Academy Award for Best Foreign Picture.
- Winner of 8 Genie awards including Best Picture.
- Best Canadian Film at TIFF 2010.
- Named Top Film of 2010 by The Toronto Star.
It’s hard to argue with that much acclaim.
I get that sometimes it’s hard to support Canadian film productions.Â They don’t usually have the huge budgets that American movies do.Â But I think that works to our advantage.Â That means there aren’t hundreds of people needlessly involved, diluting the story.Â If you going to start dipping your toes into Canadian films, I can’t imagine a better place to start than Incendies. You can thank me later.