On Tuesday, the callbacks for Wipeout Canada made their way into Calgary and I got to be a guest judge. Even though callbacks have already taken place in Toronto, I had no idea what the heck I was getting myself into.
To try to describe the over 300 auditioners we saw, would nearly be impossible. All I can say that is that Wipeout’s producers were shocked with the quality of Albertan applicants. And since the show is Wipeout, I’ll let you interpret what “quality”means.
To be honest, the whole day became one big blur. But by the end of the 10 hours of auditions, I really and truly think I’ve seen everything. I mean it….everything.
If you know someone who is making the callbacks in Vancouver or eastern Canada, here is what I recommend:
- Be yourself. Sounds cheesy, but all the judges were looking for authenticity. If you are weird, please be weird. If you are uber-up tight, that is fine. But we are going to make fun of you.
- If you want to bring gifts or treats, we certainly don’t mind. (Especially me!)
- Come prepared. Producers tell you to come prepared with a shout out, a nickname and a winning cheer. That is all you have to get ready, if you don’t take the time, we don’t take you very seriously.
- You don’t have to be dressed crazy to be get through, though it will get our attention.
- Producers are looking for what your character would be on tv. Think of that in advance and be ready to shine.
- Confidence, confidence and confidence. Even if you don’t have it. Fake it!
(I’m going to preface these photos by saying that the quality of them suck. My poor camera is in the shop and asides from causing me to have the shakes, I’m now stuck with the iphone camera.)
Here are some of the craziest people we say today!
(Click them to make them larger)