44 others things that happened the first year the PCs took office!
Apr 07, 2015
It looks like Alberta will soon be heading to the polls and once again, Albertans will have to decide if the PCs, who have been in charge since 1971, deserve some more time in office.
It seems hard to believe that one party has been in charge for more than 44 years, but it’s true! The world has definitely changed a lot since then, but I wanted to see how much. So here are 44 other things that happened around the world 44 years ago!
1.Prime Minister Trudeau married Margaret Sinclair
2.Canada’s first gay rights rally took place in Ottawa.
3. Louise Armstrong died.
4. Tupac Shakur was born.
5. The Toronto Sun published its first edition
6.Fiddler on the Roof was the number one movie of the year
7. Patton wins Best Picture at the Oscars
8. Seamus O’Regan was born
9. The final cigarette ad aired on television, during the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson.
10. “All in the Family” was the highest rating TV show
11. It also won best Comedy Series at the Emmys
12.Margaret Atwood releases Power Politics
13. The Nasdaq debuts
14. Walt Disney World Resort opens in Florida
15. Greenpeace is created
16. “Bridge Over Troubled Water” wins record of the year at the Grammys. It also wins Song of the Year and Album of the Year.
17. The Carpenters won Best New Artist
20. Apollo 14 lands on the moon.
21. Jim Morrison died
22. Harlem Globetrotters lose their 2,495-game win streak.
23. “Company” won best musical at the Tony Awards
24. Baltimore Colts win Superbowl 5.
25. Charles Manson is convicted of murder.
26. Jon Hamm is born.
27. Calgary Stampeders beat Toronto Argonauts to win The Grey Cup.
28. Montreal Canadians win the Stanley Cup. No seriously.
29. The MLB played their first-ever World Series game at night.
30. The Pittsburgh Pirates would win the World Series in seven games.
31. Intel invents the microprocessor.
32. Canonero II wins the Kentucky Derby
33. Anne Murray wins the Juno for Best Female Vocalist.
34. Gordon Lightfoot wins the Juno for Best Male Vocalist.
35. Willy Wonka and The Chocolate Facotry is released. Children never sleep again.
36. Ray Tomlinson invents internet based email.
37. Three Dog Night’s Joy to The World was Billboard’s number one song of the year!
38. The first Starbucks opened.
39. President Nixon pledges a withdrawal of 100,000 more men from Vietnam by December.
40. The first floppy disc is created for computers.
41.The first School House Rock airs on ABC
42. The first Banff Festival for the Arts.
43. Rod Sykes was Calgary’s 30th Mayor.
44. The Milwaukee Bucks win the NBA championships!
And there you have it! It’s amazing to think how much the world has changed since 1971, even if maybe Alberta hasn’t.